Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Demons

A blanket and old cotton robe
draped from her teenaged sister's top bunk
help keep out the monsters
that haunt my five-year-old daughter
alight with a keen imagination.

They're a blossoming warrior's shield
through which none but family may pass.

There is nothing in the dark
that isn't there in the light, I tell her,
remembering how like her
I would pull the covers over my head
to hide from ominous dark shapes
lurking in the night-light gloom.

I wonder if some day,
will she stand where I now stand
watching the milky way slip silently
across the desert sky?

The film of stars is like a blanket
that somehow shields me,
an aging warrior alight with a keen imagination.

I wonder if my sweet daughter
will also wrap herself in the comforting march of stars
exorcising life's demons?


An older poem but I still gaze up toward the nighttime sky and take comfort in its vast possibilities.

1 comment:

  1. I love you...unfortunately unlike you i still have to stand under a streetlight gazing at the western skies afraid of what i cannot see in the darkened distance of my imagination using the comfort of the lit street to replace willows robe!

    ReplyDelete